SewSweetdipity

SewSweetdipity

Thursday 4 September 2014

Sewing is Like Riding a Bike

Back in May I opened a little Facebook page called Sweetdipity.  I love the name!!  I have always loved the word ‘serendipity’ and the meaning behind it.  Serendipity means “the occurrence or development of events by chance; in a happy and beneficial way; love, luck, faith, chance, destiny”.  I think it’s a very deep and pretty word.  I also wanted the word ‘sweet’ in the name because I like to think that I make all things sweet in my creative projects, ‘Sweet Serendipity’ was too long of a name, so I shortened it and came up with ‘Sweetdipity’ :o)



Anyway, Sweetdipity is basically my little page where I showcase the pretty little things I make for my girls or family and friends, sometimes I have people see the photos and order one for themselves, so it’s nice to get a little order here and there and I love knowing there are some people out there wearing things created by me.  That’s why I called my blog Sew Sweetdipity, it’s my special little name that I love so very much! :o)

In my first blog post I wrote about how I hadn’t sewn since I left home at the end of high school all the way through until I was around 29 years old, that was a good 12 year break!  I bought myself a basic machine and taught myself to sew again (by this stage I lived 2000 kilometres away from my Nana so I couldn’t ask her to teach me again like she had when I was a child).  Anyway, I found that sewing is like riding a bike and learnt again really quickly.  Below are a few pics of the very first items I made after my long break of not going anywhere near a sewing machine.  I went for simple things to begin with, like pillowcase dresses, just to get the hang of it again.  The nicest part was that my little girls loved the stuff I made them :o)


Now days I make more than just basic skirts and pillowcase dresses for my daughters but also love simple and elegant everyday clothes too.  Below are some of the pretty little things I made once I started to become more confident.  I made a range of different things just to play around and learn different techniques.  I think it helped my sewing ability grow faster because rather than stick to a few things I knew how to make I always tried something new, not many came out perfect (remember I was teaching myself), but I was always happy with the results.  Oh, I have to ask, what do you think of the teeny-weeny baby dress I made for my best friend’s baby girl?  Isn’t she just a sweetheart?  Oh my heart melts over that pic <3 <3 <3


I wanted to put those photos up to show any beginner sewist out there that once you get going and start trying different things, you will learn really quickly and will be making a range of items before you know it, so don’t be afraid to give things a go.  If you’re anything like me when I was learning again though, always have a seam ripper handy, haha!! ;o)

Now before I go, I wanted to share with you this fabulous Crayon & Notepad Wallet tutorial I came across over at Atkinson Designs.  I made some for my daughters and nieces and they LOVE them!  I had to adjust the measurements because the notepads I used were a little bigger but they were fun and easy to make and I plan on making them in future for things like birthday and Christmas presents for kids, I think they are really cute!!  Here’s a few pics of the ones I made and you can click here to see the tutorial for yourself if you'd like to make them too! :o)


Have fun and happy sewing!!


Love Chryssie xo

No comments:

Post a Comment